Custom Tempered Glass
Tempered glass is necessary in situations where safety glazing is required by building codes or toughened glass is needed for high load applications.
Cardinal’s CT glass operations provide consistent high quality tempered glass that can be made in nearly any configuration. More importantly our process capabilities allow for the quick delivery and short lead times demanded by today’s custom design market.
Tempered Glass Is Tougher Glass
In the tempering process, glass is heated to approximately 1200° F (650° C) and then rapidly cooled with air. This process locks the outer surface of the glass in compression which dramatically increases the glass strength.
When fully tempered this glass is approximately four times stronger than a piece of annealed glass. More importantly, when tempered breaks it dissociates into small pieces which is considered a break-safe pattern. Cardinal's tempered glass meets important safety codes, including ANSI Z-97.1-2009 and CPSC 16CFR 1201 categories I and II.
Tempered Glass Compression and Tension Zones
Heat strengthening is an intermediate level of compression that doubles the strength, and can provide flatter glass with better aesthetics. Heat strengthening is not considered safety glazing as it will break into large shards like ordinary annealed glass.
Cardinal's Tempered Glass Manufacturing
All of Cardinal’s fabrication centers (coated glass, laminated glass, insulating glass) are equipped for glass tempering needs. Cardinal also operates stand-alone tempering centers to further expand our service levels:
- 6 Cardinal CT locations for custom tempering operations
- 3 Cardinal TG facilities for high volume tempering
This massive capacity means that we're capable of fulfilling any size tempered glass order at any time.
Advantages of Cardinal's Tempered Glass
There are multiple reasons to choose Cardinal's custom tempering services:
- Quality: our Intelligent Quality program ensures that each tempered pane is free of defects, distortion and color abnormalities.
- Manufacturing Flexibility: our tempering lines are located in various geographic centers in the United States, meaning shorter lead times for product fulfillment.
- Complete Turn-key Operation: a broad line of glass products, coatings, lamination and insulating glass means you are guaranteed superior products from one supplier.
For more information about incorporating custom tempered glass into your window designs, please contact one of Cardinal CT's fabrication centers.